Alabama Practice Report 10/14: QB Blake Barnett Misses 3rd Straight Practice
Alabama practiced outside on the Thomas-Drew Practice Fields Wednesday ahead of its upcoming road game at No. 9 Texas A&M. The Crimson Tide practiced in full pads.
- Freshman quarterback Blake Barnett missed his third straight practice. According to his Twitter and Snapchat, Barnett has been in the hospital this week where he has undergone several blood transfusions.
On Wednesday afternoon, though, just before Alabama’s practice, Barnett posted a Snapchat video announcing he was out of the hospital.
David Cornwell worked as the scout-team quarterback in place of Barnett.
- For the third consecutive practice this week, sophomore left tackle Cam Robinson practiced in each drill during the media’s two viewing periods Wednesday. This past Monday, Alabama coach Nick Saban said Robinson wasn’t “able to practice as much last week” due to lingering injury issues.
- Linebacker Dillon Lee practiced with the inside linebackers for the third time this week during position group drills in the first viewing period. He often switches back and forth between working with the inside and outside linebackers.
- Conversely, linebacker Reggie Ragland practiced with the outside linebackers during the first viewing period. That, too, is not uncommon.
- Freshman outside linebacker Anfernee Jennings worked with the tight ends for at least the second straight practice.
- Scouts from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Philadelphia Eagles and Arizona Cardinals watched practice from the sidelines.
As is customary on any game week practice, numerous Alabama players wore scout-team jerseys to emulate key Texas A&M players. In most of these cases, the players have worn these numbers all week. Here is a list of a few at a couple of different position groups:
- At running back, Ronnie Clark, Derrick Gore and Brandon Turner wore the No. 5 of senior running back Tra Carson, the team’s starter. (Clark wears No. 5 as his official team number, but since he’s worn a scout-team jersey every other week this season, it’s probably worn this week to represent Carson.) Lawrence Erekosima wore freshman Kwame Etwi’s No. 22.
- For the wide receivers, Deionte Thompson and Derek Kief wore the No. 11 of junior receiver Josh Reynolds. Xavian Marks, though listed on the Alabama roster as a running back and not a receiver, wore freshman Christian Kirk’s No. 3. Kirk is the Aggies’ leading receiver through this point in the season.
- In the secondary, freshman safety Shaun Burgess-Becker wore the No. 23 of sophomore safety Armani Watts.
- Among the outside linebackers, Jamey Mosley wore Aggies defensive end Myles Garrett’s No. 15. Garrett, a sophomore, ranks fourth in the nation in sacks with 7.5. Christian Miller wore defensive end Daeshon Hall’s No. 10 (5.0 sacks).
- Of the inside linebackers, Walker Jones wore sophomore linebacker Josh Walker’s No. 11, freshman Adonis Thomas wore junior A.J. Hilliard’s No. 46 and Keaton Anderson freshman Dwaine Thomas’ No. 16.
Saban and selected players will speak to the media after practice tonight around 6 p.m.