Alabama Practice Report 9/14: Greene Works at First-Team Right Tackle
Alabama began its preparations for its third game of the season Monday, and it’s for a big one.
The second-ranked Crimson Tide takes on No. 15 Ole Miss at home Saturday night in its SEC opener. In the Tide’s first practice of the week, players worked out in shells (helmets, shoulder pads and shorts) outside on the Thomas-Drew Practice Fields.
- Junior Brandon Greene appeared to take some reps as the team’s first-team right tackle during the media’s brief viewing period. Dominick Jackson, who has started the first two games at the position and was not injured as Nick Saban said there were no injuries to report during his noon press conference earlier in the day, also took reps. Jackson struggled at times against Middle Tennessee State last Saturday.
- Inside linebackers Reggie Ragland and Reuben Foster did not appear limited despite both receiving shoulder injuries against the Blue Raiders.
- Dillon Lee practiced with the inside linebackers.
As is customary on any game week practice, numerous Alabama players wore scout team jerseys to emulate key Ole Miss players. Here is a list of a few at a couple of different position groups:
- At running back, at least two running backs wore No. 22 for sophomore running back Jordan Wilkins, and another wore the No. 6 of Jaylen Walton. Walton scored the go-ahead touchdown in last year’s Alabama-Ole Miss game in Oxford.
- At wide receiver, multiple players wore junior Laquon Treadwell’s No. 1 jersey, including Derek Kief. Saban said before practice Monday that Treadwell “is probably as good as anybody in the country” at his position.
At tight end, at least three players wore junior Evan Engram’s No. 17 jersey. Engram is a former high school teammate of Alabama’s Kenyan Drake and a hybrid tight end/receiver.
- At inside linebacker, freshman Keaton Anderson and a walk-on wore senior linebacker Denzel Nkemdiche’s No. 4, and Adonis Thomas and Walker Jones wore senior linebacker C.J. Johnson’s No. 10.
- At outside linebacker, Christian Miller and Jamey Mosley wore sophomore defensive end Marquis Haynes’ No. 27, and three wore junior defensive end Fadol Brown’s No. 6. Freshman Joshua McMillon wore senior defensive end Channing Ward’s No. 11.
Selected players will speak to the media at 1 p.m. Tuesday. At 3:40 p.m., Alabama will hold its next practice.
Check out videos from Monday’s practice: