NFL Cuts Rosters to 53: Scott, Anderson Among 13 Bama Pro Cuts
With the 2021 NFL Preseason at a close, all 32 NFL franchises were tasked with trimming their rosters to 53 total players. Seeing that Alabama has more alumni in the league than any other collegiate program, it's no surprise many Crimson Tide players were cut Tuesday ahead of the 4 p.m. ET deadline.
In total 13 Alabama pros were cut:
- Tony Brown, CB - Cincinnati Bengals
- Ross Peirschbacher, OL - Philadelphia Eagles
- Christian Miller, LB - Carolina Panthers
- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S - San Francisco 49ers
- Carl Tucker, TE - Miami Dolphins
- Miller Forristall, TE - Tennessee Titans
- Gehrig Dieter, WR - Kansas City Chiefs
- Shyheim Carter, S - Houston Texans
- Lester Cotton, OL - Las Vegas Raiders
- Jared Mayden, S - San Francisco 49ers
- Ryan Anderson, LB - New York Giants
- JK Scott, P - Green Bay Packers
- Damion Square, DL - New Orleans Saints
Read More: NFL Cuts Rosters to 80, Four Bama Pros Included
Many of these players will likely find themselves on practice squads somewhere in the league. Miller Forristall is expected back with the Tennessee Titans and likewise for Gehrig Deiter with the Kansas City Chiefs.
The two most surprising cuts are clearly JK Scott and Ryan Anderson.
Scott has served as the punter in Green Bay since 2018 but came into 2021 training camp with his back against the wall. Scott never pushed his average gross or net yardage higher than 19th in the NFL in three seasons and rough preseason was the last straw. The Packers traded for Corey Bojorquez from Buffalo Tuesday afternoon which led directly to JK Scott's release.
As for Anderson, his time in New York was filled with unexpected left turns. He struggled to get healthy enough to participate in camp, leading to his release and subsequent re-signing. However, just a few days back on the field, Anderson was suspended by the NFL six games. Even though Anderson would not have counted towards the Giants 53-man roster until his suspension was served, New York cut him anyway.
Alabama still leads the way with 62 contract players and 55 active players across 27 NFL franchises. The four teams without at least one Alabama player are the Seattle Seahawks, New Orleans Saints, San Francisco 49ers, Green Bay Packers and Los Angeles Chargers (Cole Mazza is on the Injured Reserve list and doesn't count toward the 53 man roster.)