Week 14 Bama Pro of the Week: Amari Cooper
Each week during the NFL regular season, I'll award one standout Alabama player of the week whose performance boosted his team to victory. The only criteria being his team must win. At the end of the season, I'll name the MVP and hand out a few other awards to recognize the excellence the Alabama Crimson Tide has present in the NFL.
With a league-best 55 (counting Jalen Hurts) active players under contract across 28 franchises, there are plenty of options to choose from. Here's this week's winner:
Amari Cooper made his full-time return to the Dallas Cowboys and scored his first touchdown since Week 8 to help the Cowboys stave off the feisty Washington Football Team.
Cooper was targetted seven times and hauled in five receptions for 51 yards and a touchdown. Cooper split the Washington defense in the red zone, catching a perfect pass from Dak Prescott to get out to an early 10-0 lead.
Though Washington fought back thanks to the efforts of its own Bama Pros (more on them shortly) Dallas held on to win 27-20 to take control of the NFC East division.
Cooper returned last week in the Cowboys' win over New Orleans, but he only played 34% of the offensive snaps, catching two passes for 41 yards. The legendary Alabama receiver had been dealing with a nagging hamstring injury and a bout of COVID-19 before returning to true form against Washington.
Through 11 games in the 2021 season, Cooper has 51 receptions for 675 yards and six touchdowns. Next up for Cooper and the Cowboys is a road trip to the Meadowlands to take on the New York Giants.
And now for our honorable mentions:
- Rashaan Evans: Titans: Six tackles, one for a loss and an interception.
- Najee Harris, Steelers: 29 carries for 94 yards and a touchdown with three receptions for 10 yards and a touchdown
- Landon Collins, Washington: Five tackles, two sacks and an interception.
- Cam Sims, Washington: Three receptions for 69 yards and a spectacular touchdown catch over Trevon Diggs.
- Anthony Averette, Ravens: Five tackles and two pass breakups, including an interception.
- Jonathan Allen, Washington: Seven tackles, two QB hits including a sack.
- CJ Mosely, Jets: 17 tackles.
- DaRon Payne, Washington: Six tackles and a sack.
Be sure to tune back into tide1009.com each Tuesday to see the Bama Pro of the Week throughout the NFL season. Here's each winner from the 2021 season so far: