Alabama Practice Report 3/27: Robinson Sits Out With Ankle Injury
Alabama continued its preseason workouts with its fourth practice of the spring Friday afternoon. The players practiced outside and wore full pads for the second straight time this week.
- Left tackle Cam Robinson spent the entirety of the media-viewing session riding a stationary bike. On Wednesday, Robinson watched the offensive line go through drills from the side, though he still dressed out in full pads. That evening, Alabama coach Nick Saban said that they expected Robinson to be practiced to be back practicing again today. For details, click here.
- Replacing Robinson in the first-team offensive line unit was Brandon Greene, who appears to be Robinson’s backup at left tackle as things stand now. Greene, who played tight end for much of last season, also filled Robinson’s spot on Wednesday.
- From left to right the first-team offensive line was: Greene, Alphonse Taylor, Ryan Kelly, Bradley Bozeman and Dominick Jackson.
- Alabama’s spring position experiments continued for most players. Defensive lineman Korren Kirven is still practicing with the offensive linemen, and defensive linemen Dakota Ball and Johnny Dwight are still with the tight ends. Defensive back Ronnie Clark wears No. 5 and is practicing with the running backs.
- Kenyan Drake also continues to split duties at running back, followed by receiver. This somewhat of a position change is more of a testament to his versatility as an offensive playmaker, though.
- The one experiment that did switch back to his usual place was cornerback Anthony Averett. Averett (No. 28) wore No. 16 on Monday and Wednesday, while practicing with the wide receivers.
- Dillon Lee was working with the inside linebackers. In the two previous practices this week, he was working with the outside linebackers.
- Shaun Dion Hamilton remains Reggie Ragland’s starting partner at inside linebacker ahead of Reuben Foster. This has been the case in every practice so far this spring.
- Derrick Henry is still the leader in the clubhouse at running back.
- At least in the video below, Jacob Coker was the leader at quarterback, followed by Alec Morris, David Cornwell, Blake Barnett and Cooper Bateman. It might not mean much but the order in the first three spring practices has always been Coker, Morris, Bateman, Cornwell and Barnett before as far as I can tell.
- The secondary worked on its nickel package again. This time, the starting group appeared to be Eddie Jackson and Tony Brown as the two starting cornerbacks, with Geno Smith and Hootie Jones at safety and Maurice Smith at Star.
- Former five-star cornerback Marlon Humphrey looked like he was limping but still participated in drills. There was no indication of what type of leg/foot injury it might be based off what he was wearing.
- Running back Tyren Jones (suspended) and offensive lineman Grant Hill (medical leave) were not spotted at practice for the fourth straight practice this spring. There is no timetable on when either will return.
- Cornerback Cyrus Jones (hip) and outside linebacker Denzel Devall (foot) wore black non-contact jerseys as they worked individually with strength and conditioning coach Scott Cochran on the sideline. Neither player is expected to play this spring due to injuries.
- Hundreds of high school coaches were on hand to watch Alabama’s practice as a part of the football team’s coaching clinic this weekend.
Alabama has no media availability today. The team practices again tomorrow around 1:30 p.m. Saban and selected players will speak to the media again this Monday after practice.
Check out videos and photos from Friday's practice: