Draft Week Discussions Surrounding Alabama Players
With just two days left until the 2013 draft class begins being introduced, now is the time when speculation arises from all corners and public relations people pull out all the stops.
Alabama football is front and center again this year with as many as five players projected as first-round draft picks. Keep up with the many different conversations relating to Crimson Tide players and the NFL Draft with today's draft week discussions:
- OL D.J. Fluker's twitter account (@DjFluker76) sent out a tweet overnight that said, "Yea I took $ n college so wat. I did wat i had to do. Agents was tryin to pimp me so I pimped them. Cast da first stone." His agent, Deryk Gilmore, claims his client's account was hacked and they are working with Twitter to track down the culprit.
- Dee Milliner will be the first defensive back taken on Thursday according to all of the draft experts. The Cleveland Browns hold the sixth pick and appear to be a likely destination, but his health history is frequently being brought up around the league. According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, several league sources feel this is a smear campaign to devalue Milliner, but the Browns believe it's "not a big issue."
- ESPN the Magazine wrote a great commentary on Barrett Jones' two biggest strengths - character and résumé. The author, Keith Van Valkenburg, explains why the NFL feels Jones is overrated but argues that they should see beyond the basic skill measurements.
- Conventional wisdom tells us that guards are rarely worth a top 10 pick, but will Chance Warmack break that trend? The Morning Journal in Ohio makes an argument for the Browns to take him with the 6th pick. All of the draft analysts grade him as a top-10 talent, but will NFL teams select him that high?
- DT Jesse Williams might be one of the more interesting prospects in the draft. He hasn't played football too long but has all of the physical attributes to anchor a defensive line. He's being projected as high as late first round, and The Boston Herald discussed the possibility of his ending up in Foxboro with the Patriots. He seems to have the perfect makeup for a Bill Belichick draft pick.
The NFL Draft gets underway Thursday night with coverage on ESPN and the NFL Network.