Tide Athlete Earns Huge Nomination
Lindsey Zurbrugg of Tide women's wheelchair basketball has been nominated by the Woman's Sports Foundation for the Team Sportswoman of the Year for 2022.
She shares the nomination with great female athletes such as Candace Parker and former Alabama softball player Haylie McCleney. Zurburgg was surprised to be in the company with such great athletes.
"I see names like Candice Parker on there who is an absolute great female women's basketball player, and I see all these other people that are at the top game of their sport, but I also see my name in there," said Zurburgg, "So just being able to be among them, it is a huge honor."
Regardless of whether or not Zurbrugg thinks she belongs in the same conversation as those athletes, her accolades speak for themselves:
- 2017 NIWBT Women's Division 1st Team All-American
- 2017 NIWBT Women's Division All-Rookie Team
- 2017 All-Tournament Team
- 2019 Sportsman Player of the Year
- 2019 National Women's Tournament 2nd All National Tournament Team
- 2020 UWW All American 1st Team
- Silver Medalist World Qualifiers
- Silver Medalist Paralympic Qualifying Games in Peru
- Bronze Medalist in Tokyo Paralympic Games
*Info from bamaadapted.com
So far in 2022 Zurbrugg has already led the Tide to its fourth national championship victory in the last five seasons.
In that 50-48 win over Illinois, Zurbrugg scored eight points, including the game winning buzzer beater, with four rebounds and four steals.
Zurbrugg was also named to the America's Cup 2022 All-Star 5 for her performance with Team USA.