UA Board of Trustees Approves Staff Salaries
The University of Alabama Board of Trustees approved raises and salaries of several Alabama football staff members. Offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian had an $850,000 raise approved to bump his annual salary up to $2.5 million per year. He is now the highest paid assistant in the nation. New strength and conditioning team, David Ballou and Dr. Matt Rhea, had their salaries approved by the Board of Trustees. Ballou will earn $500,000 and Dr. Rhea will earn $450,000 this year.
The timing of this approval comes less than a week after Greg Byrne wrote a letter to Crimson Tide faithful asking for fans to consider not asking for a refund on tickets if they can afford it.
According to Cecil Hurt of the Tuscaloosa News, these salaries and raises were agreed upon in February but officially approved and finalized today.
Sarkisian has had an eventful offseason, he underwent a heart procedure at the beginning of July after going through his yearly physical. Sarkisian is seen as one of the primary reasons Tua Tagovailoa, Taulia Tagovailoa and current incoming freshman Bryce Young decided to attend the University of Alabama.
Ballou and Rhea have enjoyed a certain level of Twitter notoriety since arriving to Tuscaloosa. Their workout methods and philosophies have been on full display through social media so far this summer. Fans are excited about the prospects of the new coaches keeping our athletes healthier and more refreshed throughout the season.
Eight other football coaches received a raise or had their contracts approved.
- Defensive Coordinator, Pete Golding - $25,000 raise, will now make $1.225 million through February 28 2022.
- Defensive Line Coach, Freddie Roach - will make $700,000 through February 28 2023.
- Associate Defensive Coordinator, Charles Kelly - $25,000 raise, will now make $825,000 through February 28 2022.
- Special Teams Coordinator, Jeff Banks - $75,000 raise, will now make $725,000 through February 28 2022.
- Outside Linebackers Coach, Sal Sunseri - $25,000 raise, will now make $675,000 through February 28 2022.
- Running Backs Coach, Charles Huff - $25,000 raise, will now make $550,000 through February 28 2022.
- Defensive Backs Coach, Karl Scott - $25,000 raise, will now make $550,000 through February 28 2022.
- Wide Receivers Coach, Holmon Wiggins - $25,000 raise, will now make $475,000 through February 28 2022.
[gallerytitle="2020 SEC Football Coaches" galleryid="531:614850]